It’s Friday, it’s five o’clock and that must mean it’s time for another visit to the Friday Night Music Club.
No messing about this week, you know the drill by now. But to recap, I’m currently going through the earlier, no-longer-available mixes, and breaking them down into bite-sized hour long chunks.
Here’s your usual disclaimer: any skips or jumps are down to the mixing software; any mis-timed mixes are down to me; all record selections are mine.
Today, we’re on to Vol 1.2, which goes something like this:
Friday Night Music Club Vol 1.2
And here’s your poptastic track listing:
- Clinton – People Power in the Disco Hour
- Shed 7 – Disco Down
- Los Campesinos! – You! Me! Dancing!
- Cee Lo Green – F*** You! (Uncensored version)
- Janelle Monáe – Dance Apocalyptic
- Taylor Swift – Shake It Off
- Gwen Stefani – What You Waiting For?
- Girls Aloud – Something Kinda Ooooh
- Icona Pop [featuring Charli XCX] – I Love It
- Armand Van Helden – Koochy
- Spandau Ballet – To Cut A Long Story Short
- Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark – Enola Gay
- Human League – Fascination
- Archie Bronson Outfit – Dart For My Sweetheart
- Stellastarr* – My Coco
I have two things to add: firstly, whichever bright spark decided to use Enola Gay on a recent TV advert for home cooking kits really should have listened to the lyrics first. It’s about dropping the nuclear bomb on Hiroshima, so it’s hardly appropriate to use it to soundtrack images of someone making a stir-fry, for Gawd’s sake. And that’s before you even begin to take into consideration what’s going on in Ukraine at the moment.
Secondly, if you’re a bit narked with me serving up what are essentially repeats here, then if you care to pop over to JC’s legendary home, The Vinyl Villain, you’ll find an all-new, 100% original playlist by yours truly over there too. Well, I say 100% original: one song does appear in both that one and tonight’s mix here. I’m sure you’ll survive.