It’s what can comfortably be construed as Night.
Which means it’s time for some Music Club action.
Happy to oblige. Here’s Volume 4 of the monster that was the 4th part of the original mix, if that make sense.
Last week, I said this: “Volume 4 clocked in at 4:41 minutes, so to make it to a round hour, I either had to add 20 minutes or lose 41. You can guess which of the two won, I think.”
And this week you’ll see how those fruits are born, with a load of tunes which weren’t in the original 4:41 mix, but which – I think, I hope – sit just beautifully amongst it all.
For example, there’s Air, Robbie and the Pet Shop Boys at the top of the mix, and at the end a majestic Greg Wilson mash-up of Massive Attack, The Rolling Stones and Amerie’s 1 Thing, the latter of which is grossly overlooked because a) it happened to be released at roughly the same time as Beyonce’s Crazy in Love, and b) it sounds not entirely dissimilar to Beyonce’s Crazy in Love.
And yes, when I say Robbie I mean Robbie Williams – deal with it.
I’ll let you be the judge:
And here’s your track-listing:
- Air – Sexy Boy
- Robbie Williams – No Regrets
- Pet Shop Boys with Dusty Springfield – What Have I Done To Deserve This?
- Phoebe Bridgers – Kyoto
- Gorky’s Zygotic Mynci – Fresher Than the Sweetness in Water
- Gruff Rhys – Sensations In The Dark
- Wreckless Eric – Whole Wide World
- Half Man Half Biscuit – Corgi Registered Friends
- Goldie Lookin’ Chain – 21 Ounces
- Donna Allen – Serious
- Santogold – L.E.S. Artistes
- M.I.A. – Paper Planes
- Beastie Boys – Make Some Noise
- Jurassic 5 – Concrete Schoolyard
- Charles Wright & The Watts 103 Street Rhythm Band – Express Yourself
- Greg Wilson – Two Sides Of Sympathy
I dunno what I did, but I don’t even feel the need to post my usual “there may be some fuck-ups” disclaimer this week. Sounds alright to me. Dig it.