Well, we made it to the end of another week folks, so as your..erm..*coughs*..reward, here’s the fourth part of the six-hour plus mix I put together and then split down a while ago.
This is probably the most mixed-bag of the lot, ranging from classical to country, taking in many indie and dance and indie dance points in between. There’s a whiff of a theme developing about three quarters of the way through which, surprisingly I pull away from; more surprising than that is that there’s a couple of relatively recent tunes in here (by recent, I mean ‘released in the last 12 months’); and even more surprising than that is that when presented with the opportunity, I manage to resist going off one playing covers or songs which sample a particular act. You’ll know who I mean when you get there.
A quick admission and anecdote rolled into one: I stole the idea of mixing the opening two tracks from another DJ.
One night, back when I was living in Cardiff, I was out clubbing, when the resident DJ dropped the first two tunes in today’s mix. Same tunes, same order. The crowd fell into a stunned silence when he played the first – and give him his dues, it’s a proper show-stopper, alright – then exploded into euphoric raptures when he played the second.
Except me. I was furious. For as I watched the DJ lap up the adulation from the crowd, I felt like going up to him, tapping him on the shoulder and saying: “I hear you’ve bought Jacques Lu Cont’s Fabriclive 09 mix CD too then?”, for those same two tracks featured in the same order on that.
Anyway. Disclaimer time: any skips and jumps in the mix are down to the mixing software; any mis-timed mixes are down to me; all record choices are 100% mine (except the first two, obviously).
Here you go:
Friday Night Music Club Vol 6.4
And here’s the track-listing (look away if you prefer to be surprised):
- Richard Strauss – Also Sprach Zarathustra
- Eurythmics – Sweet Dreams (Are Made Of This)
- Stereo MC’s – Connected
- Primal Scream – Don’t Fight It, Feel It
- Electronic – Getting Away With It (Greg Wilson Edit)
- Death In Vegas – Scorpio Rising
- Camper Van Beethoven – Pictures of Matchstick Men
- The Mock Turtles – Can You Dig It?
- Yeah Yeah Yeahs – Zero
- She Drew The Gun – Behave Myself
- Carter The Unstoppable Sex Machine – Let’s Get Tattoos
- Lloyd Cole & The Commotions – Jennifer She Said
- Belle & Sebastian – The Boy With The Arab Strap
- Sharon Van Etten & Angel Olsen – Like I Used To
- Kris Kristofferson – Best Of All Possible Worlds
- Isobel Campbell & Mark Lanegan – Honey Child What Can I Do?